Parker Library on the Web banner
 
About the Project
Manuscript page

Parker Library on the Web is a multi-year undertaking of Corpus Christi College, the Stanford University Libraries and Cambridge University Library, to produce a high-resolution digital copy of every imageable page of most manuscripts in the Parker Library of Corpus Christi College (Cambridge University Press, 1912). To provide a viewing environment for these images, an interactive web application was built which allows use by scholars and students in the context of supporting descriptive material and bibliography. Of the 559 manuscripts described on the site, 538 were numbered and catalogued by M. R. James in his 1912 catalogue of the collection. A very small number of these are printed books, mistakenly catalogued as manuscripts in the 18th century, and most of these have been excluded. The online collection also includes volumes given to the library after the James catalogue was published. These additions are described in the Vaughan and Fines handlist and in material supplied by the Parker Librarian.

There are a few manuscripts with paper pages which are badly damaged by moisture, or those with very fragile bindings, which at present cannot be successfully imaged in their totality. Exterior images and selected pages have been provided for each of these fragile manuscripts where possible. The manuscripts which have not been imaged in their entirety are: MSS 86, 87, 89, 212, 215, 216, 217, 224, 240, 246, 249, 486, 494, 501, 502, 517, 523, 525, 526, 527, and 542.

The project is of major importance for creating and preserving quality images of unique materials. All images and metadata have been placed in a managed digital preservation repository.

Although the core project was completed concurrent with the launch of version 1.0 of the web application on 1 October 2009, semi-annual updates will occur to add pieces of content, selected functionality, and correct bugs, omissions and other errors.

The project was generously supported by grants from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Grants were also received from the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.